Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I love Wednesdays: El 12 de Septiembre

My first class was cancelled today, so I don't have class until 2:30pm.  I can't really complain about lounging around all day.  I'm definitely spoiled over here.  I've never consistently slept so much in my life.  Not to mention how much I eat.  I eat everything.  Even when I'm full I can't seem to turn down the food, because it's so delicious.  There's been a few days, where I've had miscommunications with my family and end up eating two lunches.  And before I continue, I need to explain how the meals work down here:

Breakfast consists of:
1 cup of coffee
1 glass of fresh juice
1 soft boiled egg
1 soft roll

Lunch is the biggest meal. It consists of:
1 glass of fresh juice
1 large bowl of soup
1 full plate consisting of rice, salad and the main entre.

Dinner:
1 cup of coffee
1 roll

It doesn't seem like much compared to our normal American breakfasts and dinners, but I'm not much of a breakfast person anyways.  So considering I usually skip breakfast at home, I do pretty well here.  Lunch is the main meal of the day.  And it may not sound like much, but I usually struggle to finish it everyday, because the servings are so big.


Strawberry Fields Forever



Last week, my friend Jillian and I found the Beatles themed bar, Strawberry Fields Forever.
Apparently, it's one of three bars in Quito, so I'm planning to go to all of them and check them out.

I was drinking a "Revolution"

All of the drinks were named after a different song.  Needless to say, I know where I'm going to spend my 21st birthday.

Afterwards, we wandered around and found a little cafe with incredible desserts.  (Did I mention that I eat way too much here?)

I should be the Vanna White of desserts.

Saturday, I visited a dairy farm with the students in my vet class.  We were practicing artificially inseminating cattle.

Practicing my Spanish and veterinary medicine at the same time.

The dairy is located just north of Quito.  Apparently, it's the farm of one of the founders of the vet program at USFQ.
I wouldn't mind having a hobby farm out here.
And for those of you that are interested, the parlor was a side opening parlor.   It's one of the most high tech farms in Quito.

Side Opening Parlor



 This weekend, I'm planning to go to the Equator and Otavalo, a little indigenous town famous for their market.  I'll post more pictures from that trip.  In the mean time, here's a picture with some of the graffiti in town.  In every neighborhood, the walls are filled with some really talented paintings!


We match because neither of us have feet. 






No comments:

Post a Comment